VMware Cloud Foundation 3.8 has been officially released which, in my eyes, is a massive release with a lot off new and welcome features making VMware Cloud Foundation even better.
Key Features and Benefits
This release of VMware Cloud Foundation isn’t just a simple update. Although it is just a minor version number change, it contains a lot of new functionality.
- Automated upgrades for all software components
With this release of VMware Cloud Foundation it’s finally possible to upgrade all the software components in VMware Cloud Foundation! No more manual upgrades of the vRealize Suite Products but automatically done from the SDDC Manager.
- Public API
Another significant feature is the availability of the public API for VMware Cloud Foundation. This makes it possible to manage workload domains from the API, which makes it possible to threat workload domains as Infrastructure as Code.
- SSO Management Domain Convergence
Last but not least is the SSO Management Domain Convergence, aligning VMware Cloud Foundation with VMware Validated Design. It provides the ability to link between the SSOs (PSCs) of two or more VMware Cloud Foundation instances so that the management and the VI workload domains are visible in each of the instances.
All new features
VMware Cloud Foundation 3.8 includes the following new features and benefits:
- Support for Automated Upgrades of vRealize Log Insight, vRealize Operations Manager, and vRealize Automation through vRealize Lifecycle Manager: Enables the automated patch and upgrade support for vRealize Log Insight, vRealize Operations Manager, and vRealize Automation components managed by VMware Cloud Foundation.
- Automated vRealize Operations Manager Cluster Expansion in SDDC Manager: Provides the ability to scale out the vRealize Operations Manager analytics cluster to handle any growing need of more resources.
- Support for Automated Upgrade for NSX-T: Provides support to SDDC Manager for the automated patching and upgrading of the NSX-T components deployed by VMware Cloud Foundation.
- Public APIs for VMware Cloud Foundation: Provides support for the public APIs to create and manage workload domains. The users can now invoke the VMware Cloud Foundation public API to create, delete, and get properties on the workload domains, clusters, network pools, hosts, tasks, and license keys.
- SSO Management Domain Convergence: Provides the ability to link between the SSOs (PSCs) of two or more VMware Cloud Foundation instances so that the management and the VI workload domains are visible in each of the instances.
- BOM Updates for the 3.8 Release: Provided a BOM update for various VMware Cloud Foundation components, including ESXi, vCenter, vSAN, NSX, NSX-T, and vRealize Suite.
Bill Of Materials
VMware Cloud Foundation is comprised of the following software Bill-of-Materials (BOM). The components in the BOM are interoperable and compatible.
|Software Component||Version||Build Number|
|Cloud Builder VM||220.127.116.11||14172583|
|VMware vCenter Server Appliance||vCenter Server 6.7 Update 2c||14070457|
|VMware vSphere (ESXi)||ESXi670-201906002||13981272|
|VMware vSAN||6.7 Express Patch 10||13805960|
|VMware NSX Data Center for vSphere||6.4.5||13282012|
|VMware NSX-T Data Center||2.4.1||13716575|
|VMware vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager||2.1 Patch 1||13685821|
|VMware vRealize Log Insight||4.8||13036238|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for NSX for vSphere||3.8||n/a|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for Linux||1.0||n/a|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for vRealize Automation 7.3+||2.1||n/a|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for vRealize Orchestrator 7.0.1+||2.0||n/a|
|vRealize Log insight Content Pack for NSX-T||3.2||n/a|
|VSAN Content Pack for Log Insight||2.0||n/a|
|vRealize Operations Manager||7.5||13165949|
This release of VMware Cloud Foundation contains updates for all software components. Most noticeable are the updates for the vRealize Suite Products which now are updated to the latest versions.